Things that make you go ‘hmmmm’. This recipe looked good. I found it on line and it was called Faux Panera Broccoli Soup. However, G put his nose above the broth and said I think I’ll have yogurt instead.
1 tablespoon butter
½ onion, chopped
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until flour loses it’s granular texture, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until flour taste is gone and mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots, sautéed onion, and celery; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts. Season with s;alt and pepper to taste.
- From the Recipe Box: I didn’t really like this, but I wanted you to see the importance of trying things. Maybe when you give it a go, you’ll say “Lynn you idiot, you forgot the________.”
- and remember: It’s sweet when someone knows every single detail about you. Not because you constantly tell them, but because they pay attention. Big kiss, Lynn