Just because you don’t enjoy a Pumpkin Spice Latte, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a little pumpkin in your life. Muffins are a vessel for pumpkin. I want them a little dense and moist with lots of spice and flavor.
These muffins are wonderful. The perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea. The streusel topping isn’t overly sweet. It does add the perfect crunch to the muffin. I’m not a huge walnut fan, but pecans are another story; there is no bitterness here. Freezing these little darlings is the perfect way to go. One will thaw in 15 minutes or so. Or, you can set it in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it reaches your perfect temp.
I may have a few bags in the freezer right now just in case you stop by and need a wee pick me up.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. I used a medium ice cream scoop to keep them even.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
* From the Recipe Box:
I did not use buttermilk. I used ½ cup whole milk with 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, give it a stir and use as buttermilk. I rarely buy buttermilk; I never use it up so why bother. Sour milk is just as good and usually much more handy. You will not notice the difference. I swear.
Great flavor in these muffins.